Tuesday, November 26, 2013

a loving meditation on my corporate job: part 2


9:30 am. Expense reconciliationasana. It is really quiet in here. I notice my breathing. I take several deliberate ujjayi breaths. No one notices. No one is here. I am all alone in this office. Everyone in the field today, the two others upstairs in deep meditation, spreadsheetasana.

I empty my mind, becoming present to each small movement I am making. Yes. This receipt does match the statement. Place it on the pile. Gingerly lift the next receipt and examine. Yes. This receipt does match the statement. Place it on the pile. Gingerly lift the next receipt ...continue focus on breathing...and examine. Yes. This receipt does match....

Open new window in Google. Type in 'vegan recipe buckwheat pancakes'. Search. Click. Read. Print.

I recognize I've momentarily lost focus. Breathe and begin again. 

I empty my mind. Gingerly lift the next receipt. Yes. This receipt does match the statement. Place it on the pile. 

9:37 am. Time for a tea break. Child's pose. I enjoy each moment of blissful standing rest. 

9:40 am. Expense reconciliationasana. Breathe. Repeat 108 times to breath, Kundalini style.

10:30 am. Inventoryasana. Check toilet paper stockasana. Reorder onlineasana. I'm flowing through the poses. It's a vinyasa.

10:45 am. I go for a walk outside to breathe some air. I reflect on my progress for the day so far. I feel slightly bored and useless until I remember that I get to go to yoga practice once my corporate job practice is done for the day. And I remind myself how I paid for my yoga membership and for that matter, the organic veggies in the salad I packed for lunch. I remind myself of the nice people I work with. I think about my life for a moment from a view from above and see clearly how privileged I am in every way. Gratitude.

11:00 am. I go back into the office disarmed. Lotus pose at my desk. I make a list of everything I need to accomplish that day. Travel bookingasana. Data entryasana. Photocopyasana. 

I move through the practice one pose at a time. Bringing myself back to breath whenever my mind wanders off. 

4:30 comes. I drive home in deep (eyes-open) Savasana. Relaxed, the practice complete. Restoring my mind and body for the next phase of the day. 

Having practised daily for years, I know these asanas well. Still, they feel a little different each day. One day a struggle, the next I fly straight through, light as a feather. If I tune in my daily tasks become a tool to see what my mind is doing that day. Then I have a choice. I can choose gratitude over boredom. Even in mundane tasks I can choose to be present and alive. It's not easy, but it has become my spiritual practice.

Sit. Stay. Breathe. Feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment