Monday, November 25, 2013

you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to my opinion...so why am I so offended?



Despite all of my yogic practice, deep breathing and meditation, some things still really set me off when I hear them and I would like to know why.

Specifically, I take great offence to being told (outright or by implication) that my opinion or my way of life is wrong.

I have put a lot of thought and consideration into my beliefs. I like to think am a mindful and conscious person most of the time. I practice non-judgement of myself and others every moment of every day (when I say practice, that is what I mean - it is never perfect).

I specifically try to avoid imposing my beliefs or lifestyle onto anybody. My guideline is that if someone asks me a question I will answer the question fully and directly and from my heart. I try not to volunteer information (especially in situations where I sense there are many differing viewpoints). I didn't choose these beliefs to get attention or gain some sort of moral authority. And I don't like when the phrase "healthy debate" is used to mask a self-important and ego-driven rant. I prefer to share and discuss and learn.

So I feel really choked up when I hear someone say something judgemental about something I am passionate about (often not knowing anything about the topic or even asking me why I've made my choice).

For example, veganism is a bit of a hot topic in my life (along with "alternative" medicine). People often say things like, "people weren't meant to be vegans" or "I think you should be less rigid with your beliefs" or worse, they imply somehow that I am doing harm to myself or others with my food/lifestyle/healthcare choices.

My heart does a double-backwards-somersault into my throat when people wave articles from "scientific journals" in my face as their "proof." Firstly, you can find "scientific proof" of just about anything, it all depends on who you ask. Secondly, all you are doing is regurgitating someone else's opinion instead of formulating your own and then telling me that I also should adopt that opinion.

It's not that I have anything against science. Quite the opposite. It's that I don't believe science can give us or has given us the be all and end all TRUTH.

Science is a relatively new system (from Newton's time of the 1600s) and is a great and powerful method of reason. It has explained the working of many things for us and given us incredible advances in technology.

By definition, science continues to seek the truth. It changes its mind all the time about what that truth is as it discovers new and wonderful things. Often there are conflicting opinions even between scientist researching the same thing. Scientific articles from the past are often disproved or added to. Science is a growing body of knowledge and a process for gaining more knowledge.

But to accept science or a scientific paper as TRUTH is the same as accepting the bible or some other written work as TRUTH. Truth cannot be defined. It can only be pointed towards. Science, too, can be dogmatic if we cling to it as truth.

Scientific articles can be really interesting, and they can often help us to form our opinions, along with our intuition, our gut-feeling about something. When something works for you, you know it (on a level that is more base than intellectual).

This is how we come to know ourselves - experientially, intuitively, and through curiosity.

Coming from this perspective, maybe you can see why I get frustrated when someone waves a piece of paper in my face and says "see, I'm right, you're wrong, this paper says so". 

Or, maybe you can't, because it's highly likely that I am over-reacting.

And this brings me pack to my original point. I am interested to know why I get so frustrated with people and their unsolicited opinions. I wish I could explain to them the above and then they would understand that we can all live together in harmony with our gloriously different opinions. But that will never happen.

I need to figure out a way to not give a shit what they think of my beliefs. Or better yet, I need to figure out a way to not even hear what they are saying if it is judgemental of others. Because really, when I think about it, I know that what they are saying is their own opinion, which they are entitled to. And regardless of whether or not they are judging me for my opinion, that it doesn't change its validity. I wish we could all just share with open minds and hearts.

Rather than feeling victimized I need to find a way to stand strong in myself and know myself. I need to try to not let what other people say affect me so much - it is just words after all. 

Like when I was a kid, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

...Maybe that's what I'll reply to the next snarky facebook comment...



With love always,

R

6 comments:

  1. Oh my God I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the part that science is about 500 years old...maybe the applied doctrine of reason but as a whole all living things apply scientific practices so more than a billion years old (on this planet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment. yes, i hear you....depends on how we're defining science and all. i suppose i am referring to the 'scientific revolution' and the development of the particular method that we are using to practice science these days :) cheers

      Delete
  3. But I think that's where you are coming from...my humble opinion...not a rant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I keep speaking....who are these people waving scientific papers in your face. And for what? I have read nothing of yours that even tip toes around the fact that the Earth is flat. Or that Columbus discovered the Americas. Or that lady GaGa isn't really that good. Humans do this 'R' in the smallest rooms and in heavy tolls.

    To be criticized for treading lightly? I sense a lot of fear them. You'll forgive them me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I love you too! I don't understand the part about "Humans do this R in the smallest rooms and in heavy tolls"....I wish I did.

      If I can offer one, I think, appropriate response to your comment (apologies if I have confused what you are saying)....people talk about new studies all the time (e.g. raw kale is good for you, then suddenly raw kale is bad for you), so you can be talking with someone and they will say for example, "You shouldn't eat XX because I read a study that says YY". In this article I was trying to explore the part of me that reacts to those moments with defensiveness. I sometimes feel like I need to defend my own choices, or in the worst case i might feel attacked.

      I was just wondering if there is a way i can learn to maintain equanimity within myself at times like that, or better yet, come to know myself well enough so it just doesn't bother me.

      But I hope this addresses your point.

      Cheers for the input :-D

      Delete